Welcome to Dunn, NC: Where Community Matters
Home | Contact | Print       A   A
News & Events


Dunn: All-American City 1989-2013

Inspections Department » Frequently Asked Questions« All Departments

QWhen is a permit required?

State law requires that permits be obtained before

  1. The construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, movement to another site, removal or demolition of any building;
  2. The installation, extension or general repair of any plumbing system;
  3. The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any heating or cooling equipment system;
  4. The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances or equipment without first securing from the Inspection Department with jurisduction over the site of the work each permit required by the North Carolina State Building Codes and other State or local law or local ordinance or regulation applicable to the work.
  5. Replacing stucco.

QWhen is permit not required?
  • The replacement of non-structural cosmetic building elements such as

Floor and wall coverings
Molding and trim work
Cabinets and casework
Roof coverings of the same fire resistance.

  • Residential accessory buildings that are no more than 12 feet in any dimension (However, you will need to check with Planning & Zoning at 910-230-3503.)
  • Replacement of electrical fixtures and components when work is not done within the wall or ceiling cavity or behind the finished wall or ceiling surface.
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures when the work does not go beyond the trap seal.
  • Installation of low voltage exterior landscape lighting.

QCan a homeowner act as his/her own general contractor?

Yes; however, when the homeowner acts as their own general contractor, they are assuming responsibility for all work done and they must reside at that residence for a period of twelve months before the property can be sold.

QWhen is a Licensed General Contractor required?

Where the cost of the undertaking is thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) or more.

Permit Applications
»Commerical Permit Package
»Development Permit
»Electrical Permit
»Fire Sprinkler Permit
»Fire Alarm Permit
»Fixed Fire Suppression Permit
»Homeowner's Guide - New Single Family Dwelling
»Homeowner's Guide - Alterations, Additions and Decks
»Irrigation Permit
»Manufactured Home Permit Application
»Mechanical Permit
»Plumbing Permit
»Privilege License Application
»Residential Permit Application
»Swimming Pool Permit
»Tent/Temporary Membrane Permit
»Fee Schedule
»Impact Fees
»Residential Impact Fees
»Add/Change Contractor
»Backflow Test & Maintenance
»Affidavit of Workers' Compensation Coverage
»Authorization to Sign Permit Applications
»Commercial Submittal Checklist
»Complaint Form
»Lien Agent Information
»Minimum Housing Petition
»Residential Submittal Checklist
»Wood Deck Specficiations
»When Do I Need a Building Permit?
»Engineering Design & Construction Standards
»Minimum Housing Code

 Related Links
»2018 Holiday Schedule
»Harnett County GIS
»Harnett County Departmental Index
»NC Department of Insurance
»NC Building Inspector's Association
»North Carolina One Call Center
»NC Licensing Board for General Contractors
»NC Home Builder's Association
»Manufactured Home Licensing Board
»NC State Board of Refrigeration Examiners
»NC Licensing Board for Electrical Contractors
»NC Board for Plumbing, Heating, and Fire Sprinklers
»NC Building Code Information
»NC Code Interpretations
»NC Division of Child Development
»Underwriters Laboratory