Welcome to Dunn, NC: Where Community Matters
Home | Contact | Print       A   A
News & Events


Dunn: All-American City 1989-2013

City Services A to Z

Abandoned Cars
The inspection Office works to rid Dunn neighborhoods of unsightly or nuisance material. Call to report a problem involving abandoned/junk cars and someone will be sent to investigate the report.
Accidental Reports
See Police Reports
Address Verification
To verify an address or acquire an address for new construction, contact the Planning Office.
Animal (Dog) Shelter
The animal control officer of the Dunn Police Department currently operates a dog shelter located just off Susan Tart Road near Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital. It is open on weekdays 10:00 am-1:00pm Monday - Friday. Citizens may adopt animals as pets for a reasonable fee on Wednesday and Friday. In addition, the animal control officer enforces laws concerning animals running at large, leash laws and dog bites. If your pet is lost, please call the shelter.
Appliance Disposal
See Bulk Trash.
The City utilizes an online auction through Govdeals for surplus cars, trucks and heavy equipment, used furniture, bicycles and other surplus materials on an as-needed basis. The auctions are coordinated by the City Administrative Office.
Backflow Prevention
The Public Works Department and the Inspections Department require backflow prevention on all commercial occupancies and lawn irrigation systems. A complete ordinance is being developed to specify best management practices.
Boards and Commissions
Citizens are encouraged to apply for appointment to serve on the City's boards and commissions. A list of available positions and application forms may be obtained from the City Clerk located in the City Administrative Office.
Building Permits/Inspection
Building and Zoning regulations and the Housing Code are administered by the Building Inspections Department. Permits are required for general construction, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, moving buildings, demolition, and insulation.

Before starting any building or repair project, contact the Inspections Office.

Bulk Trash Pick-Up
Bulk trash, such as worn out furniture, stoves, etc. are picked up only by CALLING the Public Works Office at 892-2948 to give us your address. The weekly deadline for call in's - Tuesday by 5:00 p.m. The extent of such city collection service shall not include major deposits of unwanted or abandoned furniture, appliance or other household incidentals or construction materials resulting from property owners cleaning out owner-occupied, rental or lease properties or from major internal or external renovations or modifications to their properties. If items are put out against regulations they will be red tagged.
Burning Trash
The burning of trash is prohibited by the North Carolina Environmental Management Commission. For more information, contact the Fire Department.
Business License
Citizens who wish to operate a business in the City of Dunn must obtain a Privilege License from the Dept. of Inspections/Planning. These licenses are valid from July 1 to June 30 of each year. Fees vary according to the type of business. For more information, contact the Dept. of Inspections/Planning.
Cable TV Complaints
To resolve problems or make comments about cable television service, call the cable company first. If the company does not respond satisfactorily, contact the City Administrative Office.
800-892-4357 Spectrum/800-244-1111 Century Link
Three municipal cemeteries located throughout the city are maintained by City staff. For purchase of cemetery spaces, contact the Public Works Department.
City Attorney
The City Attorney provides legal advice to the Mayor, City Council and all City departments and regulatory bodies.
City Council
Regular meetings of the Dunn City Council are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Municipal Building at 401 East Broad Street.

The Mayor is elected on an at-large basis. The six member Council is composed of one representative from each of the City's six wards. The Mayor and Council are elected every four years and together set the policy for the City.

City Manager
Dunn operates under a council/manager form of government. The City Manager is charged with administering the day-to-day operations of City government as well as implementing the policies enacted by the City Council.
Claims Against the City
A citizen may file a claim against the City for loss or injury as a result of a City activity. For more information, contact the City of Dunn Human Resources Dept.
Citizens can call the City Administrative Office or the individual department. You may also use our online form.
Crime Prevention
Crime prevention is a major emphasis of the Dunn Police Department. Officers are available to help organize Neighborhood Watch programs, which encourage neighbors to watch out for each other and report suspicious activities to police. In addition, the Community Oriented Policing (COPS) Division of the Police Department conducts educational programs in the schools and the community.
Crime Stoppers
Citizens who have information which could help Dunn Police solve a crime are encouraged to call the Crime Stoppers hotline. Information can be reported anonymously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cash is awarded in some cases if the information leads to an arrest.
Curb & Gutter
To request installation or repair of curb and gutter, contact the Public Works Department.
Dead Animals
Report any dead animals observed on the city streets to the Public Works Department. Animals will not be picked up on private property.
Drainage Problems
Report any drainage problems to the Public Works Department. Also, do not place grass clippings, leaves, brush, etc. in the street curb/gutter area that would restrict water flow. This will assist in preventing clogged drainage arteries.
Driveway Permits
The Public Works Department coordinates the review and approval of new driveway connections on City-maintained streets. The North Carolina Department of Transportation reviews and approves all driveway connections to State-maintained streets within City limits.
To report fires, accidents, crimes and medical emergencies, call 911. The computerized 911 system pinpoints the caller's location so appropriate emergency personnel can be dispatched. From a CELL phone, dial *73.
Emergency Water & Sewer Service
For emergency service, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., call the Public Works Department. At all other times, call the Police Department at 892-2345.


Fire Department
The Dunn Emergency Services responds to fires from two fire stations located in the City. Staffed 24/7, they respond to all fires in the Averasboro Fire District . Also, the department conducts fire prevention and fire inspection programs.
For emergencies, call 911.
Fire Hydrant Flows
To request a fire hydrant flow, contact Dunn Emergency Services.
Fire Hydrant Repairs
To report Fire Hydrant in need of repair, call the Public Works Department.
Furniture Disposal
See Bulk Trash Clean-Up.
Garbage Collection
The City of Dunn, through a private contractor, provides once a week residential curbside collection of roll-out containers. These carts are to be pulled back in from street after your pickup.

For problems with pickup or information on commercial collection, dumpsters, or residential collection schedule contact Republic Waste at 910-477-8281.

Government Channel
Citizens can receive continuous information on upcoming City Government events on Time-Warner Cable Channel 7. Programming includes tape delayed broadcasts of City Council meetings.
House Number
Please make sure your house item is plainly visible from the street for 911 emergencies. The Planning Department coordinates assignment of house numbers.
Housing Authority
The Dunn Housing Authority owns and manages assisted housing for low and moderate income families, the handicapped and the elderly. The Housing Authority is governed by its own local board with an Administrative Office located at 817 Stewart Street.
For information regarding city services, contact the City Administrative Office.
To schedule a building code related inspection, contact the Inspections Office.
Junk Cars
See Abandoned Cars.


Lawn Sprinkler
Typically require one inch taps and may not be available in certain locations. See backflow prevention.
Leaf Collection
The Public Works Department collects leaves.
A large vacuum truck picks up leaves and grass clippings. The truck runs a continuous route around the city. During heavy leaf season pick up is slower than normal. The leaves and grass clippings may be mixed together. If anything else is mixed with the leaves or grass clippings they cannot be picked up. All trash, paper, bottles, cans, or other materials must be picked out of the leaves and placed into the trash can for pick up. Please place piles next to the curb or ditch line but not in the ditch or gutter because they will wash into the storm drainage system and create bigger problems for the city and your neighbors. Please do not place them in the travel lanes because it is illegal and causes traffic problems. Leaves will NOT be picked up in bags. Also remember not to place items for pickup under power lines or between parked vehicles where our machinery can not reach with our mechanical arms. For additional instructions call the Public Works Office.
Leash Law
City ordinance requires that dogs be under physical restraint, such as a leash, or in a secure fence while loose on the owner's property. Dogs must always be under physical restraint off the owner's property. For more information, contact the Animal Control Officer.
The Dunn Public Library circulates books, video cassette tapes, and audio tapes. Materials may be checked out for up to three weeks. Library cards are free of charge, and may be acquired by presenting a photo ID with current address and social security number.
See Business License.
Limb Collection
The Public Works Department collects limbs. The limbs are collected in a continuous route around the city, however this same truck picks up furniture on Wednesdays. When storms come or strong winds, limb pickup is heavy therefore turn around time is greater. The City will collect NO branches, limbs or shrubbery larger than five (5) inches in diameter, longer than five (5) feet or heavier than seventy-five (75) pounds. The limbs shall be piled next to the curb and not mixed with other materials. Mixed waste will not be picked up and may result in fines. Also remember not to place items for pickup under power lines or between parked vehicles where our machinery can not reach with our mechanical arms. For additional instructions call the Public Works Office. See drainage problems.

The City will not collect any trimmings cut by landscape or tree service contractors or other commercial workmen.

Maps of the City of Dunn and Harnett County are available at the Dunn Area Chamber of Commerce for a fee of $1.50.

The Mayor, elected every four years, presides at City Council meetings. Together, the Mayor and the City Council are responsible for establishing the general policies under which the City operates.

Minimum Housing
The City of Dunn has a minimum housing code, which sets minimum standards for residential structures. The purpose of this code is to ensure the protection of the health and safety of the residents of our community. City staff inspects homes for compliance with the code. These inspections are conducted on a systematic basis, or in response to a specific complaint. If you have questions about the minimum housing code, contact Code Enforcement Officer at (910) 230-3505 or blockamy@dunn-nc.org.
Noise Control
The City of Dunn recognizes that excessive and unnecessary noise endangers the physical and emotional health and welfare of people and is a public nuisance. Through the city noise ordinance, the Police Department enforces and regulates noise levels. For information or to report a problem, contact the Police Department.
The City of Dunn operates three parks open seven days a week.
Parks & Recreation
The Parks and Recreation Department maintains three area parks which house, the city swimming pool, tennis courts, baseball, softball, soccer and football fields along with picnic shelters, which can be reserved for rental.

The Dr. P.K. Vyas Recreation Center is open daily except Sunday. The center offers a wellness/fitness room with various body conditioning equipment along with a multi-purpose room, which is available for rental. The center also has a gymnasium, an indoor batting cage and a gymnastics room. For more information on the Recreation Center, you may call (910) 897-5538.

The Recreation Department also maintains the Dunn Community Building, which is available for rental for events such as wedding receptions, large family reunions, business conventions, etc. For information or to book an event, call the Recreation Department.

The department also offers a full range of programs for all age groups and holds special events throughout the year. For more information, contact the Parks & Recreation Department. You may also contact the Dunn Area Boosters at PO Box 2272, Dunn, NC 28335.

Parking Tickets
Parking Tickets may be paid at the Records Office of the Dunn Police Department.
See Street Maintenance.
Planning Board
The Planning Board makes recommendations to the City Council on plans, goals, and objectives relating to growth, development, and redevelopment of the City and extraterritorial planning area.
Police Reports
Copies of accident, incident and arrest reports are available at the Records Office of the Dunn Police Department.
Pot Holes
Report Pot Holes to the Public Works Department.
Property Tax
Property taxes are levied on real property, personal property (automobiles, boats, trailers, etc.) and business personal property. Real property and business personal property taxes are billed in July of each year and due on September 1. If paid during August, 2% discount is given. Taxes may be paid without penalty until January 5. Motor vehicle taxes are billed from Harnett County Tax Office, 910-893-7520. City residents pay both City and County Taxes. For more information, contact the Tax Collector.
Public Nuisances
City code establishes rules for keeping the City of Dunn a beautiful place. If you have a complaint about any public nuisance (junk vehicles, trash/debris, noxious weeds, etc.), contact the Code Enforcement Officer Brian Lockamy at (910) 230-3505 or blockamy@dunn-nc.org. All complaints will be investigated and handled appropriately.
See Parks & Recreation.
Rescue Squad
The Dunn Rescue Squad responds to rescue and EMS emergencies. The Department is a paramedic level service staffed by four full-time paramedics and approximately 25 volunteers. The Department conducts CPR classes and training.
For emergencies, call 911.
Returned Checks
A fee of $25.00 will be assessed upon the return of the check or draft from the financial institution.
Senior Center
The City operates the Senior Center that offer a wide range of programs for senior citizens and serves as a nutrition site for the community. Over 80 volunteers help provide the Meals on Wheels Program in our area.
Sewer & Water

The Public Works Department is responsible for the construction and maintenance of all water and sewer facilities. The Finance Office is in charge of water and sewer accounts, reconnections, disconnections and transfers.

For more information on Water & Sewer bills, see listing under Utility Billing or call Finance at 230-3510.

For further information on construction and maintenance call Public Works at 892-2948.

Night and holiday emergency water and sewer service can be obtained by calling 892-2345.

Requests for sidewalks or sidewalk repairs can be made by calling the Public Works Department.
Storm Drains
Requests for improvements to storm drainage systems are handled by the Public Works Department.
Street Lights
Street Light requests should be directed to the City Manager's Office.
To report street lights which are burned out, call Duke Energy Progress at 1-800-452-2777, or the Public Works Department at 892-2948. We need the pole number to process requests or an exact location so a pole number can be obtained.
Street Locations
To find out the location of a City Street, call Planning Department.
Street Maintenance

For street paving and repair problems call 892-2948.

For maintenance on state roads such as Pope Rd., McKay Ave., Highway 301, Highway 421, etc. call the Department of Transportation, Lillington, N.C. at 893-4020.

Street Marking
The Public Work’s Department is responsible for all street markings.
Street Signs, Installation
For street sign installation call the Public Works Department.
See Property Tax.
Tourism Office
See Visitor Information.
Utility Billing
Water, sewer and garbage bills are mailed monthly on the last working day of each month for the previous month's service based on usage. The bill is due by the 20th of each month. Bills may be paid by mail, bank draft, credit card, or at the Finance Office at City Hall. After-hours depository is located at City Hall for your convenience. If interested in bank draft or credit card payments, contact the Finance Office for assistance. Hours are 8:00-5:00 p.m.
Visitor Information

The Dunn Area Tourism Authority housed in the General William C. Lee Museum located at 209 West Divine Street offers visitor information to travelers visiting the Dunn area. Visitor guides, golf guides, Dunn post cards, Dunn souvenirs; calendars of events, tickets to local theatrical productions and brochures for other destinations including North Carolina Travel Guides are available at the Tourism Office. Hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. www.dunntourism.org; email: tourism@dunnchamber.com

Voter Registration
Dunn residents may pick up voter registration forms at the Public Library or at the City Administrative Office.
Wastewater Treatment
Black River Wastewater Treatment Plant- the City of Dunn operates a 3.75 MGD Wastewater Treatment Plant. For information about the treatment process or tour of facilities, contact the Wastewater Plant.
Water Leaks
Adjustments can be made to customer account. The customer will be required to contact the Finance Office and advise of a leak, what type of leak and that the problem is corrected. The adjustment will be based on three month's average useage prior to problem on water and sewer with the excess water at the current wholesale rate. Adjustments are limited to two water bills in a 12 month period.

Water Leaks (in Street or Right of Way). Water leaks in the street need to be reported to the Public Works Office. The water crew will respond and schedule to make the necessary repair.

Water Meter Box
To report a broken meter box or missing lid, please contact the Public Works Department.
Water/Sewer Service
To activate an existing service for a residence or business, come to the Finance Office at City Hall. A meter deposit is required to begin service. The meter deposit rates are as follows:
Residence-Owned $50.00
Residence-Rental $100.00
Commercial Business $100.00
To transfer service from one location to another location in the City, a fee of $10.00 is required. If the transfer will require more than 10 days a new meter deposit of $50.00 or $100.00 will be required.
Water Treatment
Archie Uzzle Water Treatment Plant- The City of Dunn operates an 8 MGD Water Treatment Plant. This plant treats surface water from the Cape Fear. For information about the treatment process or tour of facilities, contact the water plant.
Water Quality
To report any changes or problems with drinking water (discoloration, taste or odor), contact the water plant.
Weeds & Grass
To report tall weeds and grass or for information on cost for mowing vacant lots, contact the Public Works Department. For lots with structures such as houses or barns, contact the the Code Enforcement Department.
Yard Sales
Citizens who wish to conduct a yard sale shall obtain a permit from the City Tax Collector’s office. An application for the permit is required and shall include the full name and address of applicant, the location at which the yard sale is to be held and the date the yard sale shall be held. Each citizen is permitted three (3) yard sales per calendar year and each sale shall not run for more than two (2) consecutive days. There is a $2 fee for yard sale permits. For more information, call the City Finance Office, (910) 230-3510.
For information on zoning, contact the Planning Office.

back to top